Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Eyebrows can be sisters, but they can never be twins

No two eyebrows are the same. Try as you might you'll never get them to look identical. Class tonight was all about eyebrows. I've been doing my own eyebrows for at least 2 years now. I used to get them waxed, but when the Asian woman who did them kept going thinner and thinner, I knew it was time to quit. From then on I've been tweezing and filling them with shadow...you know to make them look perfect. So I've always heard from people, "I love your eyebrows" or the most extreme, "You have Princess Jasmine eyebrows" lol (I guess that's a compliment).

However, after class tonight, I'm not afraid to admit, I haven't quite been doing them correctly and I learned ALOT tonight. But that's why I'm there, to learn how to do it right.

First of all I've been going way too dark in color for my eyebrows. I definitely need to go lighter. When people look at me, my eyebrows shouldn't be the first thing they see.

I learned to just fill in the blank spots, not the whole eyebrow...which, ya'll, I have been felony guilty of. It keeps the eyebrow looking natural...and not at all like a Disney cartoon character lol.

Finally I learned concealer is my friend...and a best friend to my eyebrows.

This young lady below is in my class, she was my tester model for the day.Eh I'm not really all that happy with the brows, but it was my first time doing it "correctly". Plus her eyebrows were waxed really thin and her arch was naturally in a weird place. I tried to move her arch over to the right spot, but it's hard to really change what you're working with already. But they DEFINITELY look better than when I started.

Anyway, I'm going to continue to practice on myself, and anyone who doesn't mind me practicing on them. Tomorrow in class is intro to strip lashes and more brow work. I feel confident I'll be the queen of brows soon.

Today I signed up for some additional makeup classes. Advanced courses, if you will. First of all the classes cost $150. So I clearly need to construct some kind of fundraiser, as I'm still unemployed. But I thought it was worth it.

The first class is fantasy makeup. We will learn how to do all that crazy makeup, with feathers for eyelashes and gluing glass and beads on a model's face. So that should be good knowledge for doing fashion shows and photoshoots. Stuff like this:


The 2nd class is makeup for print, film and hd tv. Apparently this is a whole other genre of makeup, because we will learn how to make faces so flawless that even high definition television can't pick up a single pore. I figure if I'm planning to do celebrity makeup, I'll need to learn that. The instructor for that class is Monifa Mortis. She is a celebrity makeup artist and has done makeup for Jill Scott, Fantasia, Missy...etc. Her faces have been on the covers of countless magazines, including Essence. Check out her website: http://www.monifamortis.com/
I'm super excited to be taking a class taught by her, I swear I can't contain myself.

Anyway I'm off to practice creating the perfect brow...Damon Roberts watch the hell out.

-Keke Lang

2 comments:

  1. Yes LS, YEEEEEEEEES. Thanks because I am always so pissed at the way my brows turn out,, like why cant they see they're not the same. Makes me feel a little better that they just CANT be... i guess..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been boycotting getting my brows done for the last 3 months now. This is just the post/invitation I needed, so uh, yeah. I'll be at your crib this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete